Northern Pacific Railroad Depot - Yakima
- 100 N. Front St., North Yakima, Washington
- Design & Construction:
- Cass Gilbert
The North Yakima Depot carries to an extreme the notion of using the center portion of the building as a decorative element. The tapered shingled walls of the tower derive from both the Goodrich Avenue Church (1886) and St. John the Divine Episcopal Church (1898-99), and the tower has little function except to support a clock and provide for an open deck. The half-timbered design differs from the Little Falls Depot in that it seems to be German- or central European-inspired (the English did not build wood towers). The large chimney is for a fireplace in the waiting room, a common feature in depots of the era. The chimney does not reflect the Germanic influence of the depot's otherwise unified design. The depot was enlarged within a few years of its construction and was later replaced.
HistoryLink.org. "Northern Pacific Railroad reaches Yakima City, where it declines to build a station, on December 17, 1884." HistoryLink.org is an evolving online encyclopedia of state and local history in Washington state. http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=pf_output.cfm&file_id=5237