Teaching Guide for "Cass Gilbert: Standing the Test of Time"
A lesson for 6th-8th grade students that connects to Minnesota Academic Standards in History, Social Studies and Art.
Download the PDF of the Teacher’s Guide [4.2MB].
This study guide will:
- Help students gain an understanding of Cass Gilbert’s contribution to American Architecture.
- Help students understand the art and science of the study of architecture.
- Give students an opportunity to interpret art and architecture and to understand how architecture affects us in our everyday life.
- Help students learn the importance of function in the design of a building.
- Help students connect architecture to the history of the expansion of civilization in America.
- Give students an opportunity to design a building using information and skills they have learned from watching the video “Cass Gilbert: Standing the Test of Time”, and performing the various activities in the study guide.
Other ways to connect architecture to learning:
- Tour the Minnesota State Capitol.
- General tours are available on a daily basis.
- Special educational tours are available for organized groups with reservations.
- A recommended tour that goes well with the study guide is the Architecture Adventure.
- Call the Minnesota State Capitol for more information: 651-296-2881
- Visit the Minnesota State Capitol website www.mnhs.org/statecapitol